Monday, March 20, 2006

What Are We Doing? Where Are We Going?

These days, my husband and I go to record stores (I mean, CD stores) and look up bands he used to play with when he was on the road and then we go to bookstores where I look up books written by ex-classmates of mine.

Yesterday, I went to Borders and flipped through a Paris Review and saw that someone I went to grad. school with had won the Whiting Writers Award. It's basically $35K for being an emerging writer. I'm always really happy for people who are out there and get recognition. Expecially people I know, but it was kind of freaky because I picked up another literary magazine and another one of my friends was published there. I go to a comfy, untrafficked part of the bookstore and sit down and staring at me was a book written by someone I went to high school with, whose short story is in the current issue of the New Yorker.

I guess this is what Naomi Watts felt when her friend Nicole Kidman was super famous and getting to work with all these great people when poor Naomi couldn't even pay her rent on time. And then I worried that I wasn't Naomi Watts, but rather, some no-name nobody person they both know who still couldn't get her rent together and never would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home